Work and live in Egypt

Whatever the reason for your stay, ask the consular section of the Egyptian Embassy for information on the regulations regarding the entry and stay in Egypt. This regulation must be complied with.

Do not hesitate to consult the website of the Ministry of the Interior of Egypt to familiarize yourself with the procedures for entering and staying in the country.

For any information relating to the conditions of stay in Egypt, it is strongly advised to contact the consular section of the Egyptian Embassy.

Stay in Egypt

A stay in Egypt requires a passport whose expiration date exceeds six months or an identity card. A visa is compulsory if you are not from a visa-exempted country.

For passport holders, the visa can be obtained either from the consulates or on-site upon arrival at the airport.

For identity cardholders, the visa is only obtained on-site and requires two identity photos.

Anyone wishing to reside in Egypt must apply for a resident visa from the Egyptian Interior Ministry. This visa is essential to be able to work in Egypt. You can not work in Egypt without a valid resident visa.

The resident visa must be obtained to work in Egypt. It must be requested upon your arrival in the country and this before engaging in any formal activity. It is illegal to work in Egypt without a valid resident visa.

Anyone who engages in a commercial or industrial activity, without being authorized is guilty of an offense liable to a fine.

The mere filing of the file with the immigration service does not authorize the person to work. A similar penalty is imposed on all those who employ a person without a work permit.

To work

Finding work in Egypt and integrating into the socio-economic fabric of this country can be a challenge. Unemployment affects around 21% of the working population.

However, as long as you have qualifications, you have the possibility of obtaining a work permit that allows you to undertake a professional activity.

Any foreigner who wishes to exercise a professional activity, salaried or not, must hold a work permit. The possession of this document is essential. If the foreigner does not have this document, the foreigner does not have the right to exercise a professional activity in Egypt.

To obtain it, you must hold a diploma or certificate or even a professional qualification in an industry in which there is a lack of qualified indigenous labor.

The establishment of a work permit for foreigners is a way of managing the flow of expatriate workers. It is issued by the Immigration Service in Cairo. However, foreign workers can obtain this permit from their country of origin.

All useful information is available on the website of this service. Otherwise, you can also get information from the High Commission of the Republic of Egypt.

To be able to work in Egypt, it is necessary to obtain a resident visa and a work permit. It is advisable, if you work and only have a tourist visa, you should have proof that your file is in progress.

Officials of embassies, consulates, international organizations, press correspondents, and trainees residing in Egypt for less than a year are exempt from work permits.

The work permit must be requested by the employer and it can take several months to obtain. Many documents are required:

  • Tourist or residence visa
  • Seven passport photos
  • Two copies of certificates of experience and diplomas
  • Two copies of the marriage contract if the foreigner is married to an Egyptian woman
  • A certificate of non-contamination by AIDS.

List of major cities and town in Egypt to find work

  • Abu Hummus
  • Akhmim
  • Alexandria
  • Aswan
  • Borg El Burullus
  • Bush
  • Cairo
  • Dahab
  • Dairut
  • Damanhur
  • Damietta
  • Dar El Salam
  • Daraw
  • Deir Mawas
  • El Idwa
  • El Kanayat
  • El Kareen
  • El Mahalla El Kubra
  • El Mahmoudiyah
  • El Mansha
  • El Manzala
  • El Maragha
  • El Matareya
  • Kom Hamada
  • Mit Adlan
  • Mit Bera
  • Siwa Oasis
  • Sodfa
  • Sohag
  • Suez
  • Sumusta El Waqf
  • Tahta
  • Tala
  • Talkha
  • Tamiya
  • Tanta